Just a list of the quotes I like when I’m feeling down. (Disclaimer: None of the photos nor the quotes are mine.)
- For when you’re wondering why all this is happening to you:
“There is neither happiness nor misery in the world; there is only the comparison of one state with another, nothing more. He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness. We must have felt what it is to die, Morrel, that we may appreciate the enjoyments of life.”
-Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo
2. For when you need to remember to love yourself:
I don’t really know where that poem came from; it’s not mine. Credits to whoever wrote these beautiful lines ❤
3. When you need to remember that you are not your malady:
“Remember who you were before the darkness stole your light.”
I also don’t know where this one came from. I only stumbled upon it at The Mighty.
4. When you need to remember that you can get through this and that this shall pass:
-J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (the film; I don’t remember reading this in the books, but this is just so beautiful)
Side note/trivia: The dementors in the books are based on J.K. Rowling’s own experience on depression. When I read the books the second time around, I realized how they were similar and tried to search if anyone noticed it, too. It turns out it was really J.K. Rowling’s plan all along! This is why I call the times when depression hits me as “dementors’ visit.” Whenever that happens, I keep trying to say “EXPECTO PATRONUM” in my head. My patronus is a dolphin (omg, I’m such a big Potterhead hahaha)
5. For when you need to remember how such a strong and wonderful human being you are:
6. For when you forget that the world is right behind you, supporting you:
Whatever you are struggling with right now, whether I know you or not, let me just say that you got this. I’m rooting for you.